Sunday, April 15, 2012

Guild Lecture and April Release

Yesterday I had the honor of sharing my private sampler collection along with a presentation on sampler research to the Sampler Guild I am a member of.  I focused on the genealogical research of the first two samplers I released which were Susanah Rayment and Margaret Morley.  As always the ladies were wonderful and I had such a good time pulling all of the information together for our meeting.  I also had the opportunity to share my new April Release as part of the Online Needlework Show, which is Mary Utley.  Mary stitched her sampler at the age of 8 and it is dated July 7, 1837.  I love this sampler it has very bright colors and to me is stitched in some respects as a child would draw a picture.  

Fabric - Lakeside Linen – Meadow Rue 36 Count using one strand of silk
Silk Threads - Needlepoint Silks, Inc
Model Stitched by - Kyla McKay-Dewald
Framing  - Total Framing, Fairfax Virginia
If you love bright colors then this sampler is made for you!  As you may have imagined researching her may be a bit of a challenge.  The sampler style definitely has English influence and there are a couple of Mary Utley's who were born around the time I estimate her birth may have been.  However, there are numerous individuals with her name in the States.  Given she may have actually been in America instead of England will probably make determining who the actual stitcher is a bit of a challenge.  We shall see though.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I missed the meeting, but I had a weekend needlepoint class to attend with a teacher from California. I love the bright colors of Mary Utley! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to meeting you at the PALS retreat in October!!! Always, Faye

    ReplyDelete