Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mary Utley - 1837

Mary Utley - 1837
Original Sampler

This weeks newsletter from The Attic Needlework in Mesa, Arizona featured in addition to Susanah Rayment my new release Mary Utley.  The colors of Mary's original sampler are bold and bright, which  is why it reminds me so much of a child's drawing.  Anyone who knows me well, knows I am a traditionalist in my decor and I love bold statement colors.  Color is definitely something I am not afraid of if used properly.  The NPI colors selected for Mary definitely reflect this about the sampler.  The Attic selected beautiful silk conversions for those who like the more subtle aged look and the palette is absolutely beautiful.  I thought I would share the photo's of Mary's original sampler.  Unfortunately, when I began my research there are hundreds of Mary Utley's in the States during the time she would have been born since she very conveniently provided this information on her sampler. 

Mary Utley - 1837
Original Sampler

However, for England only a few appear.  I believe the sampler is British, however, since I purchased from a dealer here in the States and he was not sure where it came from I can't be certain.  She may have been born in England and moved here or her family had already settled here in the States hence the motifs and layout.  

Mary Utley - 1837
Original Sampler

There is really just no way to narrow down the search given her name is fairly common and there are no other clues.  This however, does not take away from the charm or the love I have for her sampler.  Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Those reds are fabulous! If someone asked me my favorite color I would never say red, but in a sampler reds are so vibrant and I almost miss them when they're not there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this sampler and will definitely be adding it to my stitching pile. Those reds are so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete